Sunday, May 1, 2011

Going to see a shuttle launch, and looking at the stars from the top of roller coasters.

On Friday me, Sam, Max, and Jack began our epic journey to see the shuttle launch. Unfortunately, the shuttle was delayed, but we still got to eat hamburgers at a biker bar, and went on the worlds largest slingshot, which unfortunately is not astronomy related.

However, on the next day, at Gradbash in Universal Studios, I had the opportunity to observe many constellations throughout the entire night from the vantage point of roller coasters. First, on the Incredible Hulk roller coaster, I was able to observe Caster and Pollux setting on the horizon. Then, at around 1:30 I was able to see the big dipper while on an upside down, which was cool. I followed the arc to Arcturus, and then the loop dropped and I lost sight of it. Finally, at 4:00 in the morning I was able to see my favorite constellations, Sagittarius and Scorpius, while walking through the shell lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment